Sunday, November 18, 2012

Snapshot

From early in our relationship, I've penned numerous poems, most for Patty. I'd suggest this makes her a muse, but that would by default mean I'd be willing to call myself a poet.
 
I'm certain some of my guy friends have grimaced at the notion a buddy expressed himself through verse; so be it. I'm perhaps fortunate few beer buddies will read this, because they may also grimace at the notion a friend is also trying to express himself through prose. Again, so be it.
 
To be honest, I grimace at some of the stuff I've written. I've never professed an aspiration to be the second coming of Robert Frost, nor have I answered the question, "So, what do you do?" with, "Oh, I dabble at information design, but I'm really my neighborhood's poet laureate." For me, poetry will never win me any fame, and may inspire plenty of unintended snickers. And yet, during some of my rougher moments, poetry has proven cathartic. I sit down, throw open a few heavy doors, set pen to paper and, through a nifty sleight-of-hand-and-mind, tangle some of my tougher demons in serifs, swoops and risers, if only for an instant. The demons almost always come back.

At the time I wrote "Snapshot", below, we were in the thick of doctors' efforts to reduce Patty's antibodies enough to make her a viable transplant candidate. Patty was feeling run-down much of the time. I felt a burning need to amass a huge gallery of photos of Patty, because I was imagining life as a young widower. Unfortunately, at the same time I was feeling this compulsion, Patty was feeling less and less like being the subject of photos, because few at that time captured her in the best light. This poem was my response. Be gentle.


 
 
SNAPSHOT
 
Why would you guard your essence
From my camera's yearning eye
As it begs to author a history?
In every frame a narrative
An instant of you, your presence
An emotion, a realization, a moment
A frozen whisper
Selfish, I blur out the periphery
Keeping the shadows gently from focus
Only this, for now, to grace my lens
This hint of then, of this, of what
Of chapters unwritten, images unseen
Of cautious promises of you
 
For Patty
July 25, 2006

No comments:

Post a Comment